Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Gathering Place

I was so excited when I saw this month's inspiration photo at ScrapStuffz Inspired By! I love it! It's so cute and the perfect challenge to scrap my photos of the birds at my mom's feeder.  She has the coolest birds visit her. Cardinals, woodpecker, so many cute and colorful ones. We do not have cardinals where I live and I just love looking at them.  They are just so fantastic and I love sitting and watching them. It's amazing to sit and see a tree that is just dotted with all these cool birds.

I decided to add a bit of distress to my work. I used a wood grain stencil and some distress ink and water to make the watery moss like background, on top of the wood paper. I then took another stencil, a flower and bird one, some red distress ink and made the pop of red, in the background. I added my photo cluster and searched for a bird to add. I found this large wood bird and colored him red and added crackle over the top and positioned him atop some die cut twigs.

Take this opportunity to go out and look for some summer wildlife to photograph and share with us! I can't wait to see what you create.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Hello From Utah

This month's inspiration photo from ScrapStuffz was a super fun one. I just screams summer and vacation and fun, so was the perfect prompt for my epic trip to my BFF's house. Not only do I get to spend time with her, but two other friends and a crazy, whirlwind tour during the layover for another friend's daughter. I can't wait to see what the rest of my trip has in store for me!

I loved the brightly colored words, describing fun activities! I added fun letters and fonts directly on the photos in my grid. The words are all descriptive words about my trip. I also stamped icons on the photo too, resembling a infographic. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out!

I can't wait to see what you do with this fun prompt and the fun and colorful layouts you will create!

Monday, May 26, 2014


I got a chance to play along with Child's Play this month! Life has been so busy lately, that I haven't had a chance to play along with challenges for months. I happen to be visiting my friend and have some extra scrap time, and these photos that I took of my friend's dog were PERFECT for this prompt, Scooby Do.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Portland Japanese Garden

The colors this week, at CSI, are just so striking! Love the blacks and greys, with the pop of that elegant burgundy. I thought they would be the perfect fit for my recent trip to the Japanese Garden in Portland.

I took my friend, from Phoenix, there.  It's one of the two places she asked to go to, and I was happy to oblige.  I love it there!  It is just so gorgeous.

I was really inspired by the journal prompt that took me to a site about writing maps.  Not sure what the kits are all about, but the idea of creating a map of the gardens, then placing photos of various places, on the map, instantly sprung forth.  I sketched out the map, went over it in pen, painted the paths with a grey color, and I used some cool Asian stamps in the deep burgundy to make a very distressed, old look around the edges.  I dug out my die cut machine and cut some Kanji out and sprinkled about the page, and added a die cut bridge, where the bridge really is.  It turned out pretty cool.

Evidence used: map, architectural, and metal

Testimony is little captions by each photo, all inspired by the Writing Maps site.

The case file

Friday, May 2, 2014


When I saw this month's inspiration at Scrapstuffz Inspired By, I instantly thought of gardens and spring.  Lots of flowers and butterflies.  But then I went to the Portland Japanese Garden and my thoughts turned to stones.  The Zen garden was the perfect place to highlight stone!

The day was gloriously sunny and the mix of the well placed stone, the raked gravel, and shadows cast by the overhead trees was so interesting, that I grabbed my camera and began to shoot the contrasts and design.  I knew I wanted use these photos for my layout.  I knew the colors weren't going to work, simplicity is best, but I did think I would add dragonflies and butterflies, from my Japanese die cut cartridge.

I applied some black paint, to watercolor paper, with a brayer, then took my comb tool and mimicked the lines of raked gravel.  I pulled a simple green piece of patterned paper and arranged my photos.  My cartridge has a bunch of Kanji letters, and one for Zen, so I used this as my title piece, with a little stamped translation underneath.  I added a coin to the title tag, and began to think about dragonflies and such.  Then it hit me, the piece was done, other than a little simple journaling (I wrote a haiku.  It just seemed fitting).  A layout on a Zen garden should, in fact, be utterly simple,  with no extra bits, that just don't support the story, so I was done.

The inspiration photo


Let's see what you come up with!

Monday, April 28, 2014

Quirky Me

This case file at CSI had me taking a break from scrapping Yellowstone photos and moving to scrapping about me.  One of the journal prompts asks us to write about one of our quirks.  Funny, because that is the word I use to describe me, if asked for one word.  All of my is quirky!  I loved the pops of blue, against a more muted palette and just thought this was a worth diversion.

Evidence used: cogs/gears, metal, flowers, arrows, and bikes

Testimony is on my quirkiness.

The Case File

Saturday, April 5, 2014


This is CSI's fifth case collaboration with Scrap 356!  I greatly enjoy being part.  This case file was a lot of fun.  There is something circus like about animal meal time.  This coyote is enjoying nice rib dinner.  We were on our way back, for our own dinner, when we found him, right by the side of the road.

Evidence used: stripes, paint, and triangles

Testimony is in the voice of the Ringmaster announcing dinner. "Step right up, Mr Coyote, and enjoy a nice rack of elk ribs!"

The case file