Friday, March 13, 2015

Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds

I really liked the interesting color combo this week at CSI. The pretty blue with the more subtle earthy tones is really striking. I had a hard time trying to decide which photos to use though, so I went through some of the journal prompts at the Rainbow Elephant sight. One of the prompts was to use photos that move you. I knew right away what I wanted to scrap.

My husband and I took a little trip to San Fransisco just before Christmas. One morning we took the ferry over to Alcatraz Island. He had never been and I thought he would really enjoy it. As we finished up the tour, I noticed that the hospital wing was open. It hadn't been open the previous times I had been there, so we went to check it out. It was a really strange experience. Almost like you could feel the ghosts of past inhabitants. It was a bleak, dingy, stark environment and I remember wondering how on earth anyone could actually heal in this sort of environment. It was very creepy. One of the sights that moved me most was that operating table just visible through the doorway. I was very moving. Not sure why, just was. Maybe it was just the coldness of everything. Here they were, out on a rock in the middle of the bay, ill, needing healing care, and they had to find comfort in this cold institutional setting.

I tried to make my piece look very old, worn, distressed, broken down to match the mood and look of the place. I used a mix of script stamps, paste and torn up tape, finishing off with a heap of thread and torn tape.

Evidence used: dots, string, splats, long title

Testimony is to use photos that move you, "These photos really touched something in me. I can't imagine trying to heal in such a harsh, inhospitable place."





No comments:

Post a Comment