Sunday, April 9, 2017

GIU Blog Hop




I am excited to be part of the GIU blog hop! A sort of farewell from the GIU gals from the first of the year. Hopefully you came from Guadalupe's blog. If you've just wandered here, be sure to begin at the Unity blog and happy hopping!

Today I decided to play in my art journal. Recently Angie did a Facebook Live using this lovely heart from Beautifully Confused. I thought what a great stamp to use in an art journal! I made a little tutorial for you.

I gathered supplies and added more after I got going and was inspired, but this was a good start.


I started with a base of Tim Holtz tissue paper, applied using soft gel. It's a great glue for this sort of thing. Similar to Modge Podge, but denser. 


I added some dry wall tape for texture. It's sticky, so I just cut it up and stuck it on. You can find this at the hardware stores.


For  additional texture, I tore up some masking tape into random strips.


After adding the base bits, I used a thin layer of gesso to hold everything down, mute the tissue, and prepare the background to receive ink.


Removing the kitty from my laptop was the next task. I can't see Annie! You may or may not need this step.


I next applied various distress inks, randomly and without much thought. After I was finished, I hit it with water to get the cool splats


I wanted some larger, watery spots, so I stamped the ink onto an acrylic block, sprayed with water, and flicked the wet ink over the page.


For the heart, I got out some coordinating paints and my brayer. I ran the brayer through the paint and onto my stamp.


I tried to leave distinct color differences, as you can see.


The mesh tape left gaps in the stamping, so I filled them in with a brush.


I repeated this process with some background stamps from Let Adventure. Fantastic set for texture!





I decided the best way to get my sentiment on the heart was to emboss. I chose white and used a sentiment from She. I also embossed the bird from You Make You in a green with gold specks powder. It looks cool!


After that it was just a matter of  adding this and thats. The bird SO need a crown and I added some washi tape and metal bits, finishing off with splatters in white.


The finished piece! Be sure to comment and visit the other blogs for more inspirations. Next up is Karen!



38 comments:

  1. Very pretty - love the cat step, haha! I bought some drywall tape to use - and love it. I'll have to pull it out. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial, your page turned out awesome...I love your kitty too I would have to add that step my kitty loves my craft table normally when I have glitter out LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, love all the texture

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the multi media in the journal. This is something I enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this page - that heart is amazing on there. And I love your kitty. I also have that step in all my projects...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cat step was hilarious! Beautiful page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great texture. Lol in this house the cat step happens multi times during project. Thanks for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet mixed media page❣ Thanks for all the details and your pics along the way...❤️It!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fabulous project! Thank you so much for sharing how you did it! Such cool elements. Loved the different texturing you did and the stamps you used. Loved it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that "lets adventure" set. I agree - it's awesome for background building!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic turorial I learnt a lot and great page

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have used drywall tape on cards before...fun technique....love your kitty too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lot of fun and it's beautiful, too. When my hubby asks me if I need anything from Home Depot, I now have something to get ...
    thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy crap on a cracker this is phenomenal. We've been friends for YEARS, and you still inspire me everyday! I am in awe of your talent and vision. Signed- forever in your shadow

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! Love the techniques you used!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful--thanks for sharing how you made this. I haven't done much mixed media.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, fun mixed media page, Laura. I've used dry wall tape as a stencil, but never to add texture. Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great page. I love your background and the bright color in the foreground. The metal accent are very cool too. Your kitty is beautiful. Thanks Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love, love this. Thanks for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW I love how you did this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is just stunning. So much depth. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a great page in your art journal. I have a couple of art journals going myself.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the idea! Love the kitty! Looks just like my kitty; Dusty! I just ordered that heart stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for the great post! I've been working on similar art journaling and your ideas & inspiration came at the perfect time! I also have to do the "cat step" with one or both of our cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, lots of steps which is why I probably am not as much into the mixed media, but it turned out great. I would have to move a kitty, except that they are banished from my craft room, which they resent a lot, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow this is stunning. The colors and textures are so inspiring:0

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a cool journal page Laura! Doubly so when I think of you doing all this one handed. Love all the texture and layers! Continuing to pray for your surgery tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome page. I love all of your textures. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh my gosh!! This is so cool, I've never done anything like it!! (except for the step including Annie <3 ) Thanks for the awesome share :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stunning!! Thanks for the great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yummy textures and colours. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a fabulous project and yes, you need the kitty's help :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. There's no good project anywhere, that doesn't sport a cat hair! And I LOVE mixed media. Yours is great!

    ReplyDelete