Saturday, September 9, 2017

Total Eclipse




I was lucky enough to be able to experience the eclipse last month in the band of totality, with my mom and step dad. It turned out to be a perfect day. We found (at the last minute) a winery to set up camp near the center of the totality band, up on a hill, with clear skies. We set up at a table they had out for us, complete with special eclipse wine glasses, with eclipse glasses tucked inside. We even got a tasting flight included. We were tucked in at the edge of the vineyard, with it's grapes near ready to pick. We were able to get some fantastic photos of the event. We shot from first shadow until the sun was complete once again. I have to say, the 2 minutes of totality were the fastest two minutes ever and was so much more amazing than I ever dreamed.

I put together a compilation photo of the stages of the eclipse and decided that it would look amazing on a galaxy background. I tossed in some of the different stages to have better views. I've included links to some of the supplies from Scrapbook.com (I am an affiliate member and receive benefits from use of the links) Here are the photos. I think I jumped up and down, squeeing, when I saw those solar flares in the back of my camera!







To make my background I started off with a piece of watercolor paper and gathered my other supplies.


I started applying Distress Oxides randomly around the paper. I used Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Wilted Violet, Salty Ocean, and Picked Raspberry


It doesn't need to be all neat and pretty, as most of it will be covered up with the blackness of space.

Next, I gave it a good spritz with the Tim Holtz spray bottle. I like that you can get a very fine mist as well as larger spatters with this bottle.


It makes for some really cool texture!


Then I began the task of covering most of the color up with Black Soot Distress Ink. We want it to look like space with bits of galaxy and nebulas peeking out, so don't worry about covering too much up.


I then went back over with some of the Black Soot Oxide. I found it to be nice and dense and really added to my spacey look.


Spritz again to activate the water reactive properties of the inks, giving cool spaces and textures.


The last step is to add the stars by splattering white spray ink or watered down white paint all over. This last step is what really takes the piece from looking like a mess to really cool. I used Dylusions White Linen spray


I added my photos, some Tim Holtz ephemera, flair from A Flair For Buttons, wooden stars, and a Silhouette die cut eclipse embellishment.


There you have it, a cool galaxy layout for a seriously cool moment in my life. 

Did you get to experience the eclipse? Be sure to document this momentous occasion! 







2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Love your pics too, perfectly captured Tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, what an ahh-MAZING layout!!! So glad you showed us how to do this. I wish more people had seen your little mini class here to learn how to do it! Beautiful....absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete