Wednesday, June 5, 2019

GIU Day Three - Design Principles

Welcome to day three of my GIU week! We are over halfway there. I guess you're either glad or sad, but hopefully a bit sad.

Today I have an odd one for you....

Odd numbers that is. Odd numbers of things create more interest. Our brains like symmetry and order, so when you use an even number of elements, the brain says, "Oh, that's nice and orderly, check", and moves on. But we want people to linger over our hard work and having an odd number of elements slightly confuses the brain, causing the viewer to pause and really look. That's what we want, right? Right.

There are ways to get odd number amounts, including using even numbered items in places. Wait, what? Think of it this way. You can use a pair of sequins in one part of your card if you use three in another. 2+3=5, so you have an odd amount in the end. To add even more interest, arrange your odd number of things in an odd pattern. What do I mean by this? Try to avoid using equilateral triangle (like the top 2 left ones below), but rather, opt for the unevenly spaced ones (like the remainder of the triangles below).
Image result for types of triangles
https://www.onlinemathlearning.com/types-of-triangles.html
                                      



Another way to get an overall odd amount is by utilizing the visual triangle. The brain likes the flow of the triangle, so you are creating an odd number just by using an odd numbered shape for placement. Again, reference the type of triangle you are using. My triangle starts at the squirrel, goes to the cloud and sentiment, then ends at the mushrooms.




I hope you found this oldie, but good principle helpful and maybe learned the reason why it works. I shall be back tomorrow for another design principle. For now, don't forget to leave a comment for your chance at winning some deeply etched red rubber.

Until tomorrow, happy stamping!

44 comments:

  1. I certainly agree on the odd number theory - it does make a difference. Love your cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this concept would be super useful in scrapbooking too because there is more room on a page. Good pages draw attention, bad ones clutter. The triangle could help bring focus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty and cute cards and thanks for the reminder of this principle and the visual on the type of triangles to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really making me think this week ❤ I will be sad when your week is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think underneath it, I knew about the triangle, but never thought about it as a way to draw attention to my work. Some amazing examples. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your thoughts on this. I've always just kept pushing them around my paper until it felt right. This all makes perfect sense. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the floral and adorable animal cards. Thank you again for the lessons, I really love these so much. They are great to tools to have as we make cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reminder along with your cards. My mathematical brain loves symmetry, so I do have to force myself to do these things. Thanks for letting me know why it works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your cards! I always try to use a visual triangle when scrapbooking, but never thought much about it with my cards. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother used to do flower arranging, where I learned about the triangle theory of design and also about the odds..... The cards look good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your cards and lesson about the odds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rule of three, or five, or seven... rather the rule of odd. Great explanation

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had not thought about the positioning of images with the whole triangle thing. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the flower card and reminder about oddness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tips!! Your cards are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great! Using odd numbers just felt right, but not having had formal art classes, I didn’t realize why. Thank you for the lesson and your terrific cards as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super sweet cards! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for another great tip and yes I will be sad when your week is over.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a rule I always try to follow. Your cards are gorgeous. That flower is so big & bold & awesome. And the critters always melt my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips and your cards are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome cards! Thanks for the tips! Love the Bold Bloom flower and that adorable squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome tips on design with fantastic examples!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great samples! I also like to apply photography composition to some of my creations like, rule of thirds.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow! I knew about odd number, but the triangle thing is new!!!! That’s a great “odd” bit of information! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the squirrel card! It's super cute - I need a card like that to give to my hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love love love the flower. I was told a long time ago to go odd, so I always be sure I have an odd number on my cards

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful cards! Great description of this too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Interesting information. I use this technique in my cards, but I’ve never heard of the triangle principle. Good stuff. Awesome cards. The squirrel and cloud are totally adorable. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great cards, great advice! Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You got me good with the play on the word ‘odd’ lol well played! Great cards as always and I always try to follows these design principles.. when it doubt for placement, I stick to a triangle! 😉✂️

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tips and such lovely cards to illustrate!
    I'm pretty sure I incorporate this one without even thinking about it. When completing a card it often feels like it "needs something else" -- usually something to finish the visual triangle or the odd number of items.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I’m definitely going to be sad! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This was one of the first lessons you taught me! (and it stuck! :)) Again, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have always known the odd number thing, but never knew why that was the case! You are so fun to follow!! Love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cute, cute card and another day with great tips! You should teach a class!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Both are so pretty!! I use most of the times odd numbers on my cards, but never knew why!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for all the information. I have always been told to use odd number..now I understand why. Love all the different cards, stamp use and colors on all your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love everything about your odd numbers tips and all your cards

    ReplyDelete
  39. your two cards are terrific! I agree with the tip about odd numbers and triangles. thank you
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love this one! I was explaining this very concept to my 9 year old son last night when he saw the card I just finished and wanted me to add an even, symmetrical number of jewels to it and I was trying to tell him that 3 would be better! :)

    ReplyDelete