Thursday, April 5, 2012

We Are Family

The Challenge:
Scrap about babies.

Well, the baby in my life right now is my nephew, so this just fit right in with making his first year album!  I also incorporated Ashley Horton's April sketch into the design.

I've had this piece of SEI paper since around my beginning scrapping days.  It was time to use it.  I pulled it out thinking that the circles would be nice for the left hand side of the sketch, but the photos covered up too much of them and the right side just had this boring space staring back at me, so I put it away and searched on.  Nothing really was jumping out at me, so I pulled this piece back out again and thought the circles don't have to be on the left, they can be on the right, so I flipped it and it spoke louder to me, but was still flat and boring, so I pulled out some spray mist and gave it a good misting.  I was getting more excited about then!  I looked at those circles and still thought they were missing something, so I pulled out a black pen and doodled on one of them.  I figured I could cover it up if I didn't like it, but I did so I kept going.  I loved the circles then, so I decided to doodle the edge strip on the left side of the sketch, and I had planned on matting the photos, but decided I would doodle frames for them.  I then pulled out this cute lettering stencil I had and penned in the title.  I was looking at the blank spaces and thought they would look cool colored in so I got out my watercolors and colored them in.  I liked it a lot so I started coloring in the other doodles.  I decided to leave the circles alone since the circle was already colored.  As it turned out, a layout I was so not excited about turned into something that I love!  And I don't consider myself a doodler!

The layout

The sketch

3 comments:

  1. this is such a great LO! love the circles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I love how your doodling turned out! I'm never happy with how my doodling comes but yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one Laura!! You did an awesome job with the sketch and I love that fun paper and the hand-written title!!

    ReplyDelete