Friday, June 29, 2018

Growing In Unity - Day Five

Here it is...the last day. *sniff* I saved the big bang for the last day. Several months ago Sandra asked me to do a gelli plate tutorial. I didn't have time then, but then thought it would be a great tutorial for this week, so here you go!

I've had my plates for a few years. I have an 8x10 and the 12x14, which is great for making scrapbook paper. My favorite paper to print on is deli paper. I find mine at Costco like place that caters to the food industry (see what I did there?), but is open to the public. I love the texture it gives and the translucency. The colors never look dull and flat, like I feel cardstock can make them. I love using heavy bodied paint, but you can use all sorts of paint, even distress inks and alcohol inks. Today I am focusing on just one technique, even though there are dozens of things you can do with your plate. I'll be using my 8x10 and deli paper; pulling heavy bodied paint and using stencils.


I have this fun flower stencil (technically it's a mask) that make cute prints.


Apply blops (that's the technical term) of paint onto the gelli. I like to start with my light colors and add the dark later. I've just not had great luck with light over dark.


Gently roll paint onto gelli with a brayer. You don't want to over mix or you lose the color differential, aka mud.


You can see the orange as well as the pink and we're ready for our first pull! Exciting, I know!


Lay whatever paper you're using on top of paint and smooth out, capturing all the paint area.


This is the paint I had after my first pull, so I grabbed another piece of deli paper and repeated the above steps.


Next I laid down my stencil (mask) and applied the darker colors over top, using the "adding paint to gelli and brayering" step from earlier. I took my ghost print and did a soft pull, kinda forgetting that I'm really using a mask, not a stencil, but whatever. I like that you never really know what you're going to get when you play with your paint. I removed the stencil and pulled with my first pull, then still had more paint on my gelli, so I grabbed another piece of deli paper and pulled again!


So for my one process, I got three pieces of cool, one of a kind, patterned paper to use later on projects.


My problem is, I can never stop at just one design so I made these too, using a box stencil. I like how different they look even thought I added paint just once and the different ghost prints look totally different.


I used Circle Scalloped for this card. *note how the circle is placed on a stem and leave set to look like a flower*. I decided that it would be fun to use the paint I used on the print for the circle so I added it to my stamp with my brayer. Just clean your stamp well afterwards.


I did a little paper piecing with one of my box ghost prints.


These clouds are from Sunny Happy Skies. I stamped them on the deli paper, then cut out. I made a sky using a couple of blue distress inks, added my ballon, a sentiment from Sending Up Something Beautiful, and some of the Ariel sequin mix.


If you can, get your hands on a gelli plate; they are so fun to make cool backgrounds and patterned paper with!

I hope you've enjoyed my week here with you, I certainly have, even if I'm simply talking to the wall and a few thousand Russian hacker bots. Be sure to comment to be in the running for everyone's favorite deeply etched red rubber; except the Russian hacker bots, no stamps for you!


55 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to do - I love the results - all different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never used gelli before, there are so many mediums out there that I need to explore with. I've enjoyed your Blog week. So many new ideas to try!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Nice to see a gelli plate in action. I have never tried one. Thanks for the tut. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post! And thanks for the giggle at the end (I promise, I'm not a Russian hacker bot! lol). Been seeing the gelli plate papers for a couple years now, but haven't tried one. Looks really fun! Your cards came out lovely. I especially love the paper pieced clouds; very nice! Thanks for an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a Russian hacker bot here! Fun tutorial on creating your awesome patterned papers! Love how the cards turned out using them! Both are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made my jelli plate such fun. Thanks for a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so great Laura!!! Thanks for making this in a tutorial!! Will save and try definately!!
    ( when it is not so hot here, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't own a gelli plate but I do like the way the backgrounds come out. I like how you placed your circle with the sentiment to look like a flower with a stem. thank you for sharing this week.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a gelli plate but have not really gotten around to use it. May have to try it! Thanks for a great week of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great technique! I love backgrounds and depending on the colors, they create so many moods. Thank you for the inspiring week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes me want to go buy a gelli plate!!!!!! Love what you did with it. Thanks for always including a lot of pictures!! Very Helpful!!! Have soooo enjoyed your week!!! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really rocked the card techniques this week! Thanks for showing the gelli roll cards! They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting technique and you made some beautiful paper. What a great week it has been with all of your great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so creative! I've never even heard of a gelli plate! Thanks for sharing this week. Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this technique! Need to get out and use my gel press! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Thanks for sharing this! Great pics! You made this easy to follow and understand. You've had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, such a great technique, love all the cards! Fabulous week Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, this is such a cool process! I absolutely love the cards you made with your prints. I’m off to look at gelli plates now - thanks for enabling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. BEAUTIFUL! Your creations are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that looks amazing! especially love the patterned paper!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are incredible! You've inspired me to get a gelli plate. I really love how the deep blues ones produce a batik feel. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You will never know what a bright spot you have been every single day this week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What beautiful paper! The technique looks easier than I thought it would be...This may be my next crafty investment. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us this week. I have enjoyed each and every card and technique.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is really cool. I love how you were able to get so many different backgrounds. Thanks for sharing this week. It was totally enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for a very creative week; especially today with this new technique. You are very talented, special and unique. Love todays tutorial! Thanks for sharing and many blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for your fabulous tutorial!!! This looks fun to do and your backgrounds are amazing!!! Thanks for sharing your talents all week, Laura!!!😊

    ReplyDelete
  27. What great cards! Thanks for sharing something different.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have been on the fence about buying a gelli plate. Now that you have shown the cool techniques you can achieve, I will have to purchase one. I never heard of using deli paper before,so thank you for that info. 😊 p.s. I am part Russian, but not a bot!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks like fun! Awesome backgrounds for your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my meow!!! Gelli print mania!!!! Glorious cards.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the gelli print clouds! What a fun idea! Makes me look at my prints in a new way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing background. So fun. I love the surprise of the technique. Love the flower you created with the circle scallop stamp too. Great designs.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome. thanks for this informative post--I have been considering whether I wanted to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gelli printing is fun! Will have to try it on deli paper too. Thank you for the great week!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well, Well, Well..... look at you.... this is so cool, I have never seen this and now I am wanting to do this. First it was the shaker card, now it's paint, gelli, pulling, braying, and deli paper (not sure which deli paper you mean on that.) But I will figure it out. Loved all of your projects, you are so talented and a great teacher of your craft!!! Thanks for your week of sharing..... Good job ma'am, Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. How fun!
    I'm getting to take a print making class for a week next term, so I'm excited to try playing with some of these ideas there!

    I'm sad we've come to the end of the week though.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Simply gorgeous! Love each of these.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You really inspired us this week. Thanks for sharing your time and talents

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great technique and I need to try it. Thanks for sharing all of your ideas and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  40. GORGEOUS! I have never seen this done before! I am going to have to try this now!

    ReplyDelete
  41. These are stunning! I've enjoyed all of your beautiful creations this week.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Cool paper! I've wondered about how to use the gelli plate. I still don't totally understand the process, but I need to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow...this is awesome. I’ve never tried anything like this before. Thanks for sharing. You are so talented. Love all your work💕

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have a baby gelli, 5x7 and can't wait to get it out and play with backgrounds! I love the paper pieced clouds! Sooo imaginative! And using the brayer to paint the stamp...gotta try it! So many ideas, so little time! Thanks for sharing your talents and humor with everyone! What a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh I've been so curious about the gelli plates. Thanks for the tutorial! The card is super cute - great clouds and sky!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Another great tutorial and fabulous cards. Thanks for a wonderful week of sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. A great tutorial for gel press! I don't have one but the end product looks awesome.
    --Phaline Mays

    ReplyDelete
  48. Very cool!! I hadn't heard of a gel press before, these look fun and I love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank you for this great tutorial, something I’ve not tried and you make it sound sorta simple. I’ll have to google where to get a gel press. What a great week, happy crafting.

    ReplyDelete