Seriously, these two colors were meant to go together! They are found in the newest release of the oxides.
I blended the colors on to my watercolor card base, then spritzed with water to activate the oxide effect, using the Tim Holtz spritzer. Seriously love this thing.
Next I pulled out the supplies needed for the texture layer of my sea scene. I first applied texture paste through a stencil, Pomegranates, by Julie Balzer.
Then I applied spray ink and distress ink right then and there, with the stencil still in place. I learned this from May Flaum recently and I love the look!
When you pull up the stencil, you get these nice bits of colored shapes. It's sort of like unwrapping a gift.
Next I got to work on this amazing octopus. Isn't he cool? I decided to use one of my favorite stamping/distress ink methods. You lose the detail, but it looks so cool and watery, perfect for under the sea. I set a clean piece of watercolor paper in my Misti. You can do this with a stamp block as well, but I've had a wrist injury and don't always get the first stamping down well, so the Misti has been invaluable! I highly recommend it.
I started off with my lightest color, Wild Honey, and filled in the image. Then I took Rusty Hinge and randomly applied. Finally, I finished with just a tad of Fired Brick.
Once inked, hit it with some water. Be careful to use enough that you get the watery look, but not too much and end up with a giant blob. It takes a bit of practice, but is so cool.
Remove from Misti and hit with a heat tool to set. I use the Ranger tool, quieter and blows less air. As you can see, I lost the eyes, but a lot of the suckers show up. I repeated with some of the seaweed in the set and used Peeled Paint and Forest Moss
I cut out the pieces, though I only ended up using one of the seaweed pieces.
I played around with arrangement but the octopus felt ungrounded, so I added some twine.
Lastly I added a sentiment from Unity Stamp Co. It was the perfect sentiment and it's going to a good friend having a bit of a rough patch. This is where the Misti shines! I used Chipped Sapphire to stamp the sentiment and it needed 3-4 stamps to get as dark as I got it. The Misti not only helped me get it on straight, but stamp in the exact same spot, numerous times.
The twine worked wonders and I added some gems for the look of bubbles.
I love how it turned out and want to make one for me, but on canvas, to hang in my living room.
Thanks for joining me and I hope I can help you create something you love.