Friday, June 7, 2019

GIU Day Five - Design Principles

*sniff* here we are, my last day as the GIU gal. I'm also wrapping up my design principle series. There are plenty more, but I only had five days, so you I brought you the ones I think about most when in my creative space; whether it be creating cards, layouts, or a crafting a photo.

Today I am going to tackle flow. Flow simply means the way that your eye travels through an art piece. Now here in the Western World, we are trained to read from left to right, top to bottom. It's how our printed materials are laid out, so it's how we view art. There are a number of ways to help your view move through your artwork, but I'll look at two.

Left to right, top to bottom:

Like I said above, this is how we read, so this is the first way our eyes are going to think to move. Another way to think about this is our eyes are moving at a diagonal. Diagonal lines are something I always look for in a photo composition because I find it much more interesting than a straight line across and it causes your viewer to linger longer. I hope you can see this theme that runs through the whole week. You've invested time and heart energy into what you create and you want people to linger and enjoy, not just sweep through and be on to the next thing. To move simply from left to right or right to left, in the center, does just that. The eye just sweeps through and the brain moves on. By creating this diagonal line, you're inviting the view to take their time and enjoy.




Z line:

Creating a Z through your work, you're inviting your viewer to linger even longer, but still having order in your piece. An example of this is to begin at the top left, move to top right, swoop down to the bottom left and then end up at the bottom right. You see how much longer it takes to move through, using a Z line? My Z starts with the clouds on the left, moves to the cloud on the right, picks up at the bird and flower, follows down the mouse, and finishes along the grass.




I hope you have enjoyed this peek into what goes through my brain as I work and maybe even find it useful when you create too. It's been nice really thinking about why I do what I do and researching the why. Our brains are so cool and I love learning more all the time.

Be sure to comment for your chance at some deeply etched red rubber of your very own. And while you're at it, subscribe to this blog so you can keep up with what is going on in my craft room. Thanks for joining me, I've really enjoyed being with you!

Until next time, happy stamping.

29 comments:

  1. Please don't go! Thank you for a wonderful GIU week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great week full of inspiration, ideas and knowledge. Thank you so much for these lessons you have given to us. Your cards are so beautiful and I appreciate the variety of styles and layouts you have displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have had a wonderful week! thank you for sharing all your talents
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a great week, and I'm sad your week is over... I've learned a lot! Thank you for sharing the various design principles to help us make our cards more pleasing, and of course, your beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a concept I hadn’t considered before - again, love the explanation! So sad your GIU week is (already) over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such cute cards! I’ve enjoyed your week of tips and explanations on design. Thank you for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure have enjoyed your week I’ve learned a lot and all your cards are GREAT! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been fun following your design principles posts this week! Great tips and lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cards and I have enjoyed the design principles all week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have learned so much from you this week that I hate to see you go. You're cards are always beautiful! Thanks again for all you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome cards! The floral design is beautiful, and that scene with the mouse is darling!
    Thanks for a great GIU week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do beautiful work and I have really enjoyed your week as GIU girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for some great tips today! And all week. As well as sharing your
    beautiful creativity. Always a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love today’s cards!!! ❤️Thanks for your week of fabulous cards and valuable art lessons! Now to apply them!😁

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for such a great week, I have learned such a lot

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nooo, Sniff sniff 😢 it’s already Day 5!!!
    I loved your whole week of inspiration 🥰
    I enjoyed sweeping through visually again today with your awesome cards! I look forward to your next GIU week!! 💖✂️

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great week Laura! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cards this week and thank you for all the reminders and instructions!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the information and ah ha moments. Your cards are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved reading your daily blogs on how to create using the different design elements and how they are placed to create visual impact. So easy to understand and put to use in my own card making. What a great week... Thanks for sharing your intellect with us and all of your pretty cards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All of your tips have been very helpful to create cards that cause people to linger longer. This is no small feat with the many distractions that surround us. Thanks for your "to the point" descriptions and accompanying photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, this week has been so informative. Country mouse rocks! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your design flow tips! Love all of the information and your creations are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you used the Mooney patented spritz stamp technique. It's my favorite. Also, you are so knowledgeable about design. #goals

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great cards and great advice each day! Thanks for sharing your expertise Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So beautiful these cards!! Loved all your Inspiration this week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another great design principle! Thanks for sharing all of your cards and tips all week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great ideas this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete