Thursday, October 3, 2019

Unity Blog - Grounding To The Ground

I am back up on the Unity Blog for the 4th quarter and I am so excited! I had a blast last time I was here and so look forward to spending my Thursdays with you once again. This round, I thought I would teach some design principles. I've learned a lot over the years. I have a friend who loves applying how the brain works to creating art that makes the viewer stop and linger over our work and that's one of the reasons we do this, right? We want people to find enjoyment in what we create and there are ways to engage viewers into stopping and really soaking in all of your hard work.


Cierra Girl


Today I am going to look at grounding. Specifically grounding to the ground. I know that sounds redundant, but if elements aren't grounded, they seem to be floating and that confuses the viewer's brain. By grounding, you make your piece more solid and finished. I've chosen to use Cierra Girl. Unity has so many fantastic people and animals that are so fun to play with, why not give them some firm ground to stand on? You can do this with coloring, die cut hills or grass, adding to a scene that has built in ground. There are so many different ways to achieve this result. I love this stamp because the fabulously talented Angie Blog has drawn ground right in, it just needs coloring. We will look at other forms of grounding in future weeks, but for now we shall plant our feet firmly on the ground.

You can see how it was made right here!



Great news, Unity will be hosting a challenge! Use a Unity person or animal and try your hand at grounding them to the ground. I can't wait to see the creative ways you ground your subjects! Be sure to share them to the Unity Show & Tell group to be in the running for a prize! This challenge will be live for the whole month too, so you have time to think this through. Until next time, happy stamping!

No comments:

Post a Comment